Summer is just around the corner, so it’s time to uncover the pool and get things ready. If your pool pump is getting old and worn-down or has simply stopped working, you will need to consider ordering a replacement before summer starts. If you’re in need of a new pump, consider purchasing one of the top 10 variable speed pool pumps listed in this review.
Table of Contents
- 10. Sta-Rite 343001 SuperMax VS Variable Speed Pool Pump
- 9. Jandy JEP 2.0 ePump, Variable Speed 2-Horsepower Pump
- 8. Hayward SP15932S Power-Flo Matrix 1-1/2-Horsepower 2-Speed Above-Ground Pool Pump
- 7. Hayward SP2302VSP Max-Flo VS Variable-Speed Pool Pump
- 6. Hayward SP3400VSP Speed Pool Pump
- 5. Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed High-Performance Pool Pump
- 4. Pentair 520555 IntelliChlor IC40 Salt Chlorine Generator Cell
- 3. Pentair 340039 SuperFlo High-Performance Single Speed Pool Pump
- 2. Hayward SP2610X15 Super Pump 1.5-HP Max-Rated Single-Speed Pool Pump
- 1. LX Series 1-1/2-Horsepower Above-Ground Pool Pump with Cord
What to Look for a Variable Speed Pool Pump
When looking for a good variable speed pool pump, you will want to make sure you find one that has a reliable timer and easy priming system. You should be aware of what voltage range you’ll be running it on and which speed settings will work best for your pool’s needs.
Additionally, make sure you buy a pump with an extra-large basket and, if you can swing it financially, a self-cleaning system.
10. Sta-Rite 343001 SuperMax VS Variable Speed Pool Pump
This Energy Star certified variable speed pump is designed to be cost-effective. It works in standard pools that require up to a 1.5 hp pump and has 50 and 60 Hz and 110-230v capabilities.
The Sta-Rite 343001 SuperMax has 24-hour memory retention and a real-time clock. It’s capable of override and has three speed settings.
- Easy to program and use
- Easily accessible electric connections make it easy to install
- Only allows one start time
9. Jandy JEP 2.0 ePump, Variable Speed 2-Horsepower Pump
The Jandy JEP 2.0 ePump is extremely quiet and efficient, and its motor has a long life. It comes with a one-year warranty.
This pump has 8 variable speeds, five control system options, and an enormous trap basket. There is also a 1.5 model available.
- Saves up to $1,300 per year
- Easy-to-read indicators
- Quiet operation
- It’s one of the more expensive pumps on the market
8. Hayward SP15932S Power-Flo Matrix 1-1/2-Horsepower 2-Speed Above-Ground Pool Pump
This energy efficient pump works well for on- and above-ground pools. The heavy-duty motor has a long-lasting integrated automatic thermal protector.
There is a protected rear-mounted switch to start the motor. The pump generates vertical discharge orientation to horizontal. It comes with a large strainer basket and drain plug.
- Noryl impeller has a wide opening that prevents clogging
- Runs very quietly
- Some customers report early motor failures
7. Hayward SP2302VSP Max-Flo VS Variable-Speed Pool Pump
The Hayward SP2302VSP is one of the most energy-efficient pumps available and is eligible for local utility rebates. The motor is efficient, durable, and quiet.
There are an extra-large basket and a new time-clock. The motor has a permanent magnet, totally enclosed fan cooled (TEFC) design that cuts power consumption.
- Easy-to-read digital interface
- Low noise level
- Moves water well on lowest setting
- Sun exposure might wear down buttons and display over time
6. Hayward SP3400VSP Speed Pool Pump
Another well-liked Hayward pump is the SP3400VSP EcoStar, which features a permanent magnet, TEFC motor that keeps water running smoothly and produces little noise.
This pump can be installed with Hayward automation, in stand-alone mode, or with competitive control systems. It is automatically protected from brownouts, voltage spikes, priming failures, and extreme temperatures.
- Can suction lift up to 10 feet above water
- Easy-to-use interface
- Has a Safety Vacuum Release System (SVRS)
- Multiple reported controller failures
- Might only work for up to a few years
5. Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed High-Performance Pool Pump
This Pentair pump is built to save you 90% energy consumption over its competitors and is a 3-hp, 230-v machine that runs quietly.
There are 8 programmable speed settings, a built-in timer, and built-in diagnostics. Motor speed can be matched to your pool’s needs. This pump also enhances chlorinator and filter performance and reduces algae build-up.
- Saves money on energy costs
- Keeps pool looking clear
- Owner installation cuts warranty down to 3 months
- Needs to be installed by “authorized” installer for full warranty
4. Pentair 520555 IntelliChlor IC40 Salt Chlorine Generator Cell
This generator continuously recycles the salt used to create chlorine in a pool, reducing your amount of daily upkeep. The IntelliChlor is self-cleaning and produces up to 1.4 pounds of chlorine each day.
IntelliChlor IC40 works in pools up to 40,000 gallons and can work between 220-240V. It comes with a 10-foot power cord.
- Lasts about 5 years when properly maintained
- Easy to install
- Reports of poor customer support from Pentair
3. Pentair 340039 SuperFlo High-Performance Single Speed Pool Pump
This single-speed 1.5hp pump is quiet and cost-effective. It starts up easily with the self-priming feature and comes with a one-year warranty.
Hydraulic noise is minimized by the pump’s internal design. Hydraulics are well-engineered, the 56 square flange motor is durable, and the body parts have thick walls.
- Works well in sports pools that hold 16,000 gallons of water
- Doesn’t have a pesky on-board circuit board control switch
- Draws a constant current
- Doesn’t have a timer
2. Hayward SP2610X15 Super Pump 1.5-HP Max-Rated Single-Speed Pool Pump
This 1.5hp pump is known to be reliable and efficient. It is easy to service since there is a quick 4-bolt access area for the internal components. The strainer is see-through so you can know when there is a lot of debris in it.
The strainer’s cover can be easily removed using the swing-away hand knobs. There are no loose clamps or parts. The 110-cubic-inch basket can hold excess leafs.
- Ceramic seal is heat-resistant
- Solid mounting base is supportive
- Warranty might get voided if you purchase online
1. LX Series 1-1/2-Horsepower Above-Ground Pool Pump with Cord
The best pool pump for 2019 is the Hayward SP1580X15 Power-Flo, which is a 1.5hp pump meant for above-ground pools only.
The pump has a clear cover and has reinforced thermoplastic housing for year-round protection. The debris basket is a whopping 118-cubic-inches. The double-sized seal is heat-resistant and 100% drip-proof.
- Comes with a power cord
- Very cost-effective
- Can run well for years
- Runs better than some 2.0hp pumps
- Difficult to prime
- Some reported quality control issues
As you can see, there are a lot of great options for variable speed pool pumps. Just keep in mind that some warranties might not be fulfilled if you self-install. Carefully select the pump that best fits your pool’s specs, and you can enjoy a summer (or, hopefully, many summers) of fun in the sun in your clean and energy-efficient pool.
More From My Site