Butcher blocks are wood boards for cutting and serving food. Wood is the safest surface because bacteria, drawn in by liquids, dies when the liquid dries. For a butchers block, the grain of the wood is turned up on end. For a cutting board, the grain of the wood runs the length of the board. With butcher blocks, the knife blade slips between the wood fiber. On cutting boards, the knife blade cuts the wood fiber, dulling the knife and eventually causing the cutting board to splinter.
Many woods are toxic and should not be used for butcher blocks. Trees that produce edible nuts or edible running sap provide the safest wood. Hard maple is a great choice with its tight grain and hardness. Bamboo is toxin free, FDA certified food-safe, and nonporous. It will not absorb water, bacteria, food odors, or stains making it easy to clean. Earth-friendly bamboo is biodegradable, sustainable, and renewable. Oak is a poor choice because the grain allows food to get trapped in the butcher block. Teak has silica, which is hard on knife blades. Wash the butcher block with dishwashing detergent and warm water after each use, and dry thoroughly. To sanitize, use an equal mixture of vinegar and water and rinse. To maintain the butcher block, use mineral oil monthly for a water repellent surface. Heat the mineral oil and add food-safe beeswax for even more protection. Do not use vegetable, peanut, olive, or organic oil because they will turn rancid.
10. SoulFino Large Bamboo Cutting Board & Serving Tray
This 17″ x 13″ x 1.5″ butcher block provides a serving area for food and room to cut larger pieces of meat. It has handles and is double sided with a flat side and a side with a juice groove that can hold up to four ounces of liquid. It is pretreated with mineral oil and will not crack or warp. Lightweight at seven pounds but hard, durable, and scratch resistant, this bamboo butcher block is great for chopping but will not damage knives. Prefere 4865, a formaldehyde-free and non-toxic glue, is used on this butcher block.
- Non-porous — does not absorb bacteria.
- Large size block for serving or cutting.
- Food-safe and earth-friendly.
- One customer received a cracked block.
9. Top Chop Butcher Block Premium, Cherry
This Cherry Top Chop Butcher Block features handmade blocks and rounded corners. It is reversible and available in four sizes.
- 12″ x 18″ x 2″ weighing 10 pounds
- 16″ x 18″ x 2″ weighing 13 pounds
- 20″ x 18″ x 2″ weighing 16 pounds
- 24″ x 18″ x 2″ weighing 20 pounds
It is not pretreated, so apply mineral oil daily for about three weeks.
- Most people said it’s a beautiful, sturdy block.
- It’s a little heavy for some people.
- It’s not preseasoned.
- Some customers complained that the wood selection was not good.
- Some customers had it crack after a few months.
8. KOOQ Bamboo Chopping Block with Feet
This Bamboo Chopping Block by KOOQ has legs, handles, and rounded sides and corners. It is pretreated with wood oil and comes in three sizes.
- Medium 12″ x 6″ weighing 2.5 pounds
- Large 12″ x 12″ weighing 3.7 pounds
- Extra Large 18″ x 12″ weighing 9.6. pounds
- Made with anti-microbial, easy-clean, sustainable bamboo.
- Has handles and legs.
- Pretreated with wood oil.
7. Top Notch Large End Grain Bamboo Butcher Block Professional
This Top Notch Large Bamboo Butcher Block has handles, non-slip rubber feet, and a grooved edge to catch liquids. It measures 15 ⅝” x 11 ⅞ ” x 1 ½” and weighs six pounds.
- Provides all the benefits of bamboo butcher blocks.
- Has handles and non-slip rubber feet.
- Some people reported that it cracked.
6. Ironwood Gourmet Square End Grain Chef’s Board, Acacia Wood
Ironwood Gourmet Square Chef’s Butcher Block is made from acacia wood. It has rounded corners and rubber feet. It measures 14″ x 14″ x 1.25″ inches and weighs 5.2 pounds. This block is not pretreated, so apply mineral oil daily for a few weeks.
- Has rubber-tipped feet and weighs only 5 pounds
- Some customers reported rough areas, but mineral oil and light sanding would remedy that.
- One customer reported the block cracked after six months.
5. Neet Organic Bamboo Butcher Block
This Neet Bamboo Butcher Block measures 16.5″ x 12″ x 2″ and weighs 8.5 pounds with all the benefits of bamboo. It has two-sided hand grooves for easier handling.
- Has two-sided hand grooves for easier handling.
- Is anti-microbial and eco-friendly.
- Large and light measuring 16.5″ x 12″ x 2″ and weighing 8.5 pounds.
- Several customers reported cracks.
4. Hardwood Chef Premium Acacia Wood Butcher Block
This Hardwood Chef Premium Acacia Wood Butcher Block has a deep groove to catch liquids and finger grips for easier handling. It is preconditioned with mineral oil to prevent warping and is easy to clean. It measures 16″ x 12″ x 1¾” and weighs 6.2 pounds. The acacia wood is eco-friendly and sustainable.
- Has deep grooves to catch liquids and fingers grips for easier handling.
3. Chef Remi Cutting Board
This Chef Remi Cutting Board is made from less porous, eco-friendly, sustainable rubber tree wood. It has a protective coating that does not allow liquids to be absorbed into the wood, so it is anti-microbial and anti-bacterial. Light and compact, it measures 16″ x 10″ x 0.7″ and weighs three pounds. With smooth corners and edges and a non-slip design, it has a groove to catch liquids.
- Has a protective coating, so it is anti-microbial and anti-bacterial.
- Is reversible.
2. Mountain Woods Butcher Block
The Mountain Woods Butcher Block has a two-tone striped pattern with cutout handles on the sides. It is reversible and is pretreated with a food-safe finish. This Butcher Block measures 15″ x 12″ x 2″ and weighs 7.3 pounds.
- Pretreated with a food-safe finish.
- Has handles for easier carrying.
- Is two-sided.
- Two customers said the two-tone effect was created with stain not wood. One said the color bled into the countertop.
- One customer reported cracking. A few others said they had cuts in the block.
1. Heim Concept Premium Organic Bamboo Extra Large Cutting Board
This Heim Concept Bamboo Cutting Board is reversible and has a groove to catch liquids. It measures 18″ x 12″ x ¾” and weighs three pounds.
- This block is reversible and has a groove to catch liquids.
- There are several reports of cracking and warping.
All of these butcher blocks are good. Just pick the wood and size that best works for you.
More From My Site