What is a USB Flash Drive?
This is an external data storage device for your PC, phone or even tablet with a USB port and has a flash memory with an integrated USB interface It is also known as a thump drive, jump drive and a variety of other names. USB flash drives are typically removable and rewritable and they occupy a very small space. It is small enough to carry on a key ring. . USB flash drives are of different sizes and shapes and can hold gigabytes of information.
Different types of USB Flash Drives
Flash drives differ in memory size, physical size, and other specifications. Flash drives can be classified with respect to: time (first generation, second generation, third generation, and fourth generation), size (ThumbDrive and DiskOnKey), storage capacity (8 to 256 GB) and speed (to USB 2.0’s 480 Mbit/s (60 MB/s and USB 3.1 type-C flash drives with read/write speeds of around 530 MB/s)
Advantages of USB Flash Drives
- They are convenient as you can carry them with your keys
- They have high speed
- The can be used to carry large amounts of data
- Portable; easy to carry compared to hard drives
- High quality
- Aesthetically appealing.
- Removable and rewritable and they occupy a very small space
USB Flash Drives on the market today
- SanDisk Cruzer Fit CZ33 16GB USB 2.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive- SDCZ33-016G-B35
- SanDisk Connect Wireless Stick 64GB, Wireless Flash Drive for Smartphones, Tablets and Computers (SDWS4-064G-G46)
- Samsung 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive (MUF-128BA/AM)
- Silicon Power 64GB Jewel J80 USB 3.0 Flash Drive (SP064GBUF3J80V1TEJ)
- SanDisk Ultra Fit CZ43 32GB USB 3.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive Up To 130MB/s Read- SDCZ43-032G-G46 [Older Version]
- Kingston Digital Data Traveler SE9 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive (DTSE9H/32GBZ)
- SanDisk Cruzer CZ36 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive, Frustration-Free Packaging- SDCZ36-032G-AFFP and many others.
Things you need to know before buying
- File Transfer Speeds; Flash drive are available in different in varying speeds and it is important to know the speed that you want.
- Generations of USB Flash Drives
- Similar Specs Can Be Deceiving
- Smaller & Thinner: Not always better; smaller flash drives are convenient and portable, but once they get too small, they can’t fit those quality components that are mentioned above.
How to choose the right USB Flash Drive
When choosing flash drives it is important to pay attention to its specifications. You should be able to get your money’s worth. Such specifications include; speed, size, function, design and price among others.
10. Samsung 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive (MUF-128BA/AM)
Made of a hard metal casing complete with a ring to prevent loss this flash drive has exceptional features such as: high-speed (USB 3.0) and a range of storage memory sizes (16, 32, 64 and 128 gigabytes). It also has shock proof, water proof, magnet proof, X-ray proof and temperature proof attributes.
- Super-small; portable
- The strong ring provision enables you to carry it with your keys anywhere.
- High quality
- Aesthetically appealing.
- Has no cap that may end up getting lost
- Light in weight
- Maximum speed is attained when the flash drive is inserted into a 3.0 USB port (up to 130MB/s), otherwise the speed will be lower.
09. SanDisk Cruzer Fit CZ33 16GB USB 2.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive – SDCZ33-016G-B35
This product is available in different memory sizes: 4, 8, 16, 32, and 64 gigabytes. It has: software that can protect the drives content via password or encryption and an online secure backup of up to 2 GB. Apart from that it also has an LED to monitor the drives activity.
- It has an orange light indicator that blinks when it is writing or reading
- It is extremely fast
- Has a ringlet that you can attach a lanyard to.
- Its tiny size makes it challenging to handle
08. SanDisk Connect Wireless Stick 64GB, Wireless Flash Drive for Smartphones
With this flash drive you can wirelessly connect to save and access your videos, photos and files. You can also access the same by connecting it into a USB port. This device is designed for your phone, tablet as well as your computer and available with different memory capabilities; 32, 64, 128 and 200 gigabytes.
- Apart from computers it can also be used on phones and tablets.
- It has a wireless provision.
- Has an application with an inbuilt music player
- Its connector is USB 2.0
07. Silicon Power 64GB Jewel J80 USB 3.0 Flash Drive (SP064GBUF3J80V1TEJ)
This is one aesthetically sophisticated piece. The beauty has a zinc alloy metallic strong exterior with matching features such as: water, dust and shock resistance. It has a speed of USB 3.0 and is compatible with USB 2.0 and is available in: 8, 16, 32, 64 and 128 gigabytes storage capacities.
- It has an anti-cap ergonomic design.
- Comfortable grasp and usage.
- It durability is long-term.
- Fantastic data transfer speeds
- Sold in bulk (ten pieces).
06. SanDisk Ultra Fit CZ43 32GB USB 3.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive Up To 130MB/s Read- SDCZ43-032G-G46
This is a fast (USB 3.0) ultra-low profile flash drive available in 32, 64 and 128 gigabytes storage capacity. It can be used store data for notebooks, in-car audio, game consoles and so much more.
- It is a high performance drive; it can store, transfer, and share files ten times faster with USB 3.0
- It does not stick out when it’s in use.
- It is provided with a 128-bit file encryption and password protection for private files; leaving the rest of the drive available for sharing
- It is very tiny
05. SanDisk Ultra 64GB USB 3.0 OTG Flash Drive With micro USB connector For Android Mobile Devices
This product is equipped with the following: USB 3.0 and dual micro-USB connectors, SanDisk memory zone application (which lets you easily back up and manage content on your tablet and smartphone. The product has different memory sizes; 16, 32, 64 (white and black) and 128 gigabytes.
- It has a protective design
- It is fast
- Easy to handle; it has an average size
- It can be easily attached to your keys via its silver handle.
- The smallest memory size is 16 GB
04. PNY Attaché 64GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive – P-FD64GATT03-GE
Apart from being stylish and classy this flash drive is available in a range of colors; black, blue, navy, pink and 2 black pack. Depending on the user needs we have different memory capacities available; 8GB, 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, and 128GB.
- It is light in weight and durable.
- It is cap-less but with a sliding design that protest it when it is not in use.
- It has a key-loop to attach to keys for convenience purposes.
- It is provided with free support.
03. Kingston Digital Data Traveler SE9 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive (DTSE9H/32GBZ)
It is available in two packages; the standard packing and frustration-free packing. It is pocket-sized, cap-less and has free technical support. It supports Vista, XP, Mac and Windows 8.
- It is durable and stylish
- Easy to carry inconvenient ; can be stored together with keys
- It is available in a range of memory capacities; 8GB – Combo Pack, 16GB – Combo Pack, 8GB, 16GB, 32 GB and 64 GB.
- It is a great accessory for notebooks like; Ultra-books as well as tablets that offer USB ports.
- Fast, but not blazing fast; large file writes 8MB/s, reads 17MB/s.
02. SanDisk Ultra Fit 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive (SDCZ43-128G-GAM46)
It is a low-profile, ultra-small, high-speed USB 3.0 flash drive perfect for notebooks. Reads and writes with high speeds of up to 150MB/s and 15X faster than standard USB 2.0 drives respectively. It is known for its speed.
- It is fast; up to 15X faster than standard USB 2.0 drives.
- It has arrange of memory capacity; 16GB, 32GB, 64GB and 128GB.
- Compatible with USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports.
- Thumb-drive gets hot when used for a while.
01. SanDisk Cruzer CZ36 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive
Available in 4GB, 8GB,16GB and 32GB capacities; frustration-free packaging and standard packing. It has provisions for file encryption and password protection for private files; leaving the rest of the drive available for sharing
- It has a provision where you can connect it with the key chain for protection and convenience.
- It is ideal for video-the easy way to store, share and play your favorite video files.
- 1/8″ wider on each side from the connector – very tight fit next to power connector on laptop.
There is a variety of taste and preferences flash drives in the market. There is something for everyone!