If you are HVAC Technician and your toolkit doesn’t contain the refrigerant leak detectors, it either means, you are not serious with your worker or you are offering incompetent service to your client(s). On the other hand, no one wants to rub shoulders with Environment Protection Agency Officials or suffer significant business loss due to a refrigerant leakage.
If you intend to upgrade or acquire a new refrigerant leak detector, we have just made your work easier. With an array of thousands of models out there, differentiating legit from cheap knock-offs can be overwhelming, especially when you are a beginner. Fortunately, we have done our research, tested a variety of refrigerant leak detectors and finally compiled a list of the Top 10 Best Refrigerant Leak Detectors. Check them out and let me know what you think.
Table of Contents
- Table of the Best Refrigerant Leak Detectors Reviews
- 10. Fieldpiece SRL8 Heated Diode Refrigerant Leak Detector
- 9. Elitech Advanced Refrigerant Infrared Leak Detector Tester – ILD-200
- 8. INFICON Tek-Mate Refrigerant Leak Detector – 705-202-G1
- 7. Robinair Refrigerant Leak Detector – TIFXL-1A
- 6. Refrigerant Halogen- Gas Leak Detector Checker – Elitech HLD-200
- 5. Klein Tools Combustible Gas Leak Detector – ET120
- 4. Refrigerant Gas Leak Detector HVAC CFCs HCFCs HFCs
- 3. Halogen Refrigerant Gas Leak Detector – AGPtek R4210A R134A
- 2. Portable AC Refrigerant Halogen Gas Leakage Detector – Signstek
- 1. High-Accuracy Refrigerant Freon Leak Detector – Yosoo
Table of the Best Refrigerant Leak Detectors Reviews
10. Fieldpiece SRL8 Heated Diode Refrigerant Leak Detector
First on our list is the Fieldpiece Heated Diode Refrigerant Leak Detector SRL8. For sure, this model makes your work easier, the reason is very popular among HVAC Technicians. It is engineered to detect several types of gases including CFCs, HCFCs, HFCs and their blends. Unlike other models, this refrigerant leak detector is more sensitive to some refrigerants compared to others.
Equipped with a powerful and user-replaceable 15-hour rechargeable battery, it will last two days assuming you are up and running all day. Most impressive, this unit features both manual and automatic zeroing, a critical feature in enhancing leak detection accuracy. Filter system protects the sensor preventing unexpected malfunction.
- Heated Diode Leak Technology
- Comes in a rugged blow-cold case
- Excellent filter system
- User replaceable 15-hours rechargeable battery
- Works with CFCs, HFCs, HCFCs and their blends
9. Elitech Advanced Refrigerant Infrared Leak Detector Tester – ILD-200
The ILD-200 Advanced Refrigerant Leak Detector is another model that does the job pretty well. Keen and experienced HVACR Technicians never take their eyes away from this model. It was basically designed to make refrigerant leak detection a whole lot easier. To begin with, this unit boasts an impressive ergonomic design not to mention the rugged construction that withstands any abuse out there. One aspect that pushes ILD-200 up the ranks is its adjustable sensitivity that allows technicians to adapt to different environments.
Actually, you can even adjust the sensitivity up to 0.14oz/yr. At the touch of a button, the Peak Function allows you to mark the maximum leakage value when a leak is detected. After a 4-hour charge, the powerful built-in 3.78V 3000mAh lithium battery lasts you for 6 hours of non-stop leak detection. Another robust feature of Elitech ILD-200 is the earphone design that makes it easy for technicians to hear the alarm plus, help detect leaks.
- Advanced infrared sensor
- Adjustable sensitivity levels
- Durable and high-capacity lithium battery
- Earphone design
8. INFICON Tek-Mate Refrigerant Leak Detector – 705-202-G1
The INFICON Tek-Mate Leak Detector makes the best choice for low-to-medium users who are tight on budget. What impresses most technicians is the fact that this unit has a very sensitive detector. Plus, the sensitivity can be adjusted to as low as 0.25oz.yr. When there is a leak, this refrigerator leak detector will alert the user using the audible sound and the flashing LEDs. It can be used with refrigerants such as CFCs, HCFCs, HFCs, and the likes of R22, R134A, HFO1234yf, and R410A. The 38cm long metal probe makes it easy to detect leaks in hard-to-reach areas. Additionally, note that the INFICON Tel-Mate Refrigerant Leak Detector runs on two “D” cell batteries.
- Patented heated diode sensor technology
- Detects even the smallest leaks
- Automatic background adjustment/zeroing
- Flexible rubber-coated metal
7. Robinair Refrigerant Leak Detector – TIFXL-1A
Hands down, the TIFXL-1A Robinair Leak Detector is an improvement of its predecessors and it boasts several features of the New Generation X Line of TIF Refrigerant Leak Detectors. Basically, it has changed the perspective of modern refrigerant leak detectors by introducing an innovative MPC circuitry & the Advanced Digital Signal Processing Monitor. By renovating the sensing mechanism with the tip that performs up to 2000 times per second, this model has greatly improved the accuracy and reliability of detecting leaks. Operating on two C-cell batteries, Robinair comes with a flexible stainless steel 14-inch probe. Kindly note that this model works with all-halogenated refrigerants.
- Features advanced Digital Signal Processing Monitor
- Innovative MPC Circuitry
- Detects all halogenated refrigerants
- Microprocessor-controlled circuitry
- More reliable and accurate leak sensing
6. Refrigerant Halogen- Gas Leak Detector Checker – Elitech HLD-200
When you want to detect harmful gases and leakages in an instant, the Elitech HLD-200 is another excellent model that will meet your needs. It is designed to detect all kinds of halogenated refrigerants. Using the single light diode display technology, the HLD-200 leak detector indicates the degree of a leak by gradually lighting the lights. The true mechanical pumping mechanism ensures there is a consistent and positive airflow through the sensing tip enhancing sensitivity and quick response. With a touch of a button, you will find it fun using this refrigerator leak detector. There are 6 levels of sensitivity that allows users to set the real-time cycle adjustment. Tri-color display indicates the battery level.
- Single light diode display technology
- Detects all kinds of halogenated refrigerants
- Seven levels of sensitivity
- Auto reset testing functionality
5. Klein Tools Combustible Gas Leak Detector – ET120
This is a high-end product from the popular Klein Tools that have reshaped the refrigerator leak detectors for over 155 years. For instance, the ET120 boasts incredible detection range of 50 – 10,000 ppm. Equipped with both visual and audible alarms, the unit will detect propane, methane among other combustible gases. One aspect of the ET120 that impresses the family of engineers is the over-molded body design that allows for a firm and comfortable grip. Moreover, the auto-power-off function that shuts down the entire system after 10 minutes of non-usage greatly cuts down on energy bills and also conserves the battery. When powering up, this unit will flashlights during the automatic zero-point calibration that enhances accuracy in leak detection.
- 18-inch flexible gooseneck
- Includes storage neck
- Can detect leaks at very low concentrations (50ppm)
- Features both audible and visible alarms
- Auto power-off function
4. Refrigerant Gas Leak Detector HVAC CFCs HCFCs HFCs
Powered by 2 AA Alkaline batteries, the Elitech HLD-100+ is another top-rated model that makes the life of HVAC technicians easier. It deploys quality sensors that can detect halogen gases, even at low concentrations. One adorable aspect of this unit is the Dual-dolor LED indicator that progressively indicates the leakage level with real-time display. The 13.98” flexible stainless steel probe reaches to any target point. You can easily adjust the sensitivity levels depending on the environment. Plus, the LED display indicates the seven-level alarms. Overall, this is a convenient and easy to maintain refrigerator gas leak detector.
- Detects CFCs, HCFCs, and HFCs
- 6-level leak alarm
- Real-time sensitivity adjustments
- Great leak detection sensitivity
- Great LED display
3. Halogen Refrigerant Gas Leak Detector – AGPtek R4210A R134A
If you are looking for a refrigerant leak detector that will trace the source of a very tiny leak, consider the AGPtek Halogen Gas Leak Detector. Engineered to detect all kinds of halogenated refrigerants, this unit has an excellent sensor that can detect as low as 0.1oz/yr. Most impressive, the flexible stainless steel probe allows HVAC technicians to detect leakages in hard-to-reach spots. Tri-color display alerts the user on the battery voltage. Moreover, the single colour LED display and the 7-level alarm leak system makes this unit pretty simple to use. Also, note that the AGPtek Refrigerator Gas Leak Detector has an extra spare sensing tip.
- Tricolour display of battery voltage
- Extra spare sensing tip
- Flexible stainless steel probe
- Detects all kinds of halogenated refrigerants
2. Portable AC Refrigerant Halogen Gas Leakage Detector – Signstek
Combining easy detect and high precision, the Signstel Portable AC Refrigerant Halogen Gas Leakage Detector is another model that takes the crown. It boasts stable functionality and has 7 levels of sound and light alarm. Most adorable is the excellent sensor that can detect all kinds of halogenated refrigerants. With a flexible stainless steel probe, you can reach any tiny space.
Real-time sensitivity and the extra spare sensing tip are other features that make this model count. Tri-color display indicates the battery level with the orange, green and red colours. For air conditioning maintenance, refrigerator repair, and vehicle maintenance, the Signstek Portable AC Refrigerant Gas Leak Detector makes a great choice.
- A sensitivity of 0.1oz/yr for all halogenated refrigerants
- Reliable negative corona halogen leak detector
- Seven levels sound and light alarm
- Easy and high-precision detect
- Real-time sensitivity
1. High-Accuracy Refrigerant Freon Leak Detector – Yosoo
The Yosoo Leak Detector is a high-end model designed for unparalleled precision. Believe me you, this is among the few models in the market that will take you to where the leakage is, without any disappointments. When leakage is detected, this unit will flash some light, while increasing the frequency of beeping. Automatically follow circuit adjusts with the environment to prevent false detection. Ultra-low power IC design and the automatically adjusting detecting mechanism makes the Yosoo Refrigerant Freon Leak Detector highly accurate and stable. You can use this leak detector on all halogen gases including bromine, fluorine, and chlorine.
- An ultra-low power IC design
- Wide use and highly portable
- Detects all halogen gases
- High accuracy
- Manually adjustable sensitivity