The 10 Best Diaper Rash Creams For Your Sweet Little Baby
Most parents encounter diaper rash at some point in their caretaking endeavors. A diaper rash is a skin irritation in a child’s diaper area. It is an issue that can cause your child a great deal of discomfort, even pain. That is why you need the best diaper rash cream to keep your beloved baby happy and comfortable.
In this article, we will go over our top 10 contenders for the best diaper rash cream. Follow along, and you will be able to narrow down your choices and find the product best suited to the needs of you and your child. Say goodbye to diaper rash. Say goodbye to long nights of crying. Most of all, say goodbye to worry. In less than 10 minutes, you will have all the information you need to solve your diaper woes.
Table of Contents
- Product FAQ’s
- How We Reviewed
- Overall Price Range Of This Product
- What We Reviewed
- Weleda Diaper Rash Cream
- Boudreaux’s Butt Paste Diaper Rash Ointment
- Cetaphil Baby Diaper Cream with Organic Calendula
- Seventh Generation Baby Diaper Cream
- Honest Company Diaper Rash Cream
- Era Organics Baby Diaper Rash Balm
- Desitin Rapid Relief Diaper Rash Remedy
- Burt’s Bees Baby Diaper Rash Ointment
- A + D Original Diaper Rash Ointment
- Aquaphor Baby Healing Ointment Advanced Therapy Skin Protectant
- The Verdict: The Best Diaper Rash Cream
1. What Is Diaper Rash?
A diaper rash is a skin irritation in your child’s diaper area. At best, it remains a patch of red, irritated skin that does not seem to cause any sort of discomfort. At worst, it can spread to other parts of the body, cause a great deal of pain, and even lead to infections.
2. What Causes Diaper Rash?
Diaper rash, believe it or not, is a complex issue with many different causes. Here are just a few of them.
First, there’s moisture. The diaper, as you have probably learned by now, is a rather warm and moist place. Even with modern diapers that make bold claims about their ability to eliminate moisture completely, your baby’s hindquarters will never be 100% dry. This moisture can cause irritation.
A second cause is stool. When urine mixes with stool in the diaper, the chemical reaction that ensues produces ammonia. Ammonia is harsh on the skin, and this irritation can cause diaper rash.
A third is diarrhea. Compared to normal stool, diarrhea has a greater acidity. This, combined with moisture and ammonia, creates a diaper cocktail of sorts that is notorious for causing diaper rashes.
Another possibility is your baby’s diet. When you start feeding your baby new foods, it affects the chemical makeup of their stool. Depending on the specific food items, it can make your baby’s stool more acidic, which, again, can cause diaper rash.
Other common causes are the chemicals, dyes, and perfumes often found in disposable diapers. While they help prevent your baby’s diapers from stinking, they can also cause diaper rashes.
The next common cause is detergents. The detergents of cloth diapers can cause reactions on your baby’s skin. You should try to use a detergent that does not contain any dyes or perfumes. You can also incorporate an extra rinse or two when you wash your baby’s diapers.
Then there are antibiotics. While antibiotics kill illness-causing bacteria, they also kill the healthy bacteria in your child’s digestive system. The result of this is often diarrhea or yeast infections. Both of these can lead to diaper rash.
Yeast can also cause diaper rashes. Yeast can grow in your child’s diaper area, and they can be difficult to treat. Yeast thrives in warm and moist environments, making the diaper an ideal breeding ground.
These are only the most common causes. There are many more potential reasons for diaper rash. That’s why you need the best diaper rash cream that can be versatile against all these dangers.
3. How Does Diaper Rash Cream Work?
Diaper creams place a barrier between your baby’s bum and irritants. Some might include some therapeutic ingredients to reduce inflammation and treat irritation.
4. Where Can You Buy It?
Diaper rash cream is widely available in stores and online. You can buy the ones on our review either directly from the manufacturers, in various stores, or online from Amazon.
5. What Price Range Should I Expect?
Most diaper rash creams can be bought for anywhere from $10 to $30.
How We Reviewed
We judged the following products based on these parameters: features, pros and cons, price, where to buy it, and warranty. We chose these characteristics because they allowed us to evaluate each diaper rash cream in an unbiased, comprehensive manner. We believe that with this information, the average consumer will be able to find the right product for their needs.
Overall Price Range Of This Product
The diaper rash creams on our list fall within the range of $10 to $30. Generally, what determines price variances is the ingredients list. The more natural the ingredients, the higher the price (usually).
What We Reviewed
Weleda Diaper Rash Cream, 2.9 Ounce
- Contains 1 – 2.8 Ounce Diaper Rash Cream
- Cares for delicate skin of the diaper area. Soothes skin and diminishes the appearance of redness while supporting…
- Protects against dampness.
This diaper rash cream not only relieves rashes but prevents new irritations as well. It is made with pharmaceutical grade zinc oxide, and it has won the Parent Tested, Parent Approved Award. It was certified as natural by the European organization, Nature.
From the information provided by Weleda, there does not seem to be any warranty.
Boudreaux’s Butt Paste Diaper Rash Ointment | Original | 4 Ounce (Pack…
- Helps treat and prevent diaper rash as a skin protectant (16 percent zinc oxide)
- Protects irritated skin due to diaper rash and helps seal out wetness
- Discomfort relief starts fast from the first use and provides long lasting protection
This ointment is made of zinc oxide, castor oil, mineral oil, paraffin, Peruvian balsam, and petrolatum. It has twice the rash fighting power of the original Butt Paste. It was specifically made without harsh ingredients, meaning no dyes, paraben, preservatives, phthalate, or talc.
This product can be found on Amazon for around $10.
From what Boudreaux has released online, it does not appear that this product comes with a warranty.
Cetaphil Baby Diaper Cream with Organic Calendula, Vitamin B5 and E ,…
- Dermatologist tested and formulated to be gentle enough for infant’s skin
- Paraben free, Colorant Free, Mineral Oil Free, and Hypoallergenic
- Specially formulated to calm and soothe baby’s delicate skin
Cetaphil Baby Diaper Cream contains zinc oxide, organic calendula, vitamin B5, and vitamin E. It is dermatologist tested, as well as paraben, colorant, and mineral oil free.
This product does not come with a warranty.
Seventh Generation is a cream prioritizing safety. It is hypoallergenic, pediatrician tested, and clinically proven to be gentle on the skin. It is made with pure coconut oil and zinc oxide.
You can contact the manufacturer about returns.
Honest Company Diaper Rash Cream, 2.5oz – 2 PACK
- Immediately forms a protective barrier on baby’s skin to instantly provide relief & soothe irritated skin
- Reduces the duration and severity of diaper rash when applied at the first signs of redness
- Organic shea, jojoba, tamanu & coconut moisturize & nurture skin. Non-nano zinc oxide helps reduce & prevent redness &…
This cream is made of non-nano zinc oxide and hypoallergenic, plant and mineral-derived, and organic ingredients.
You can reach out to Honest to return this cream.
Baby Diaper Rash Balm – USDA Certified Organic Soothing Diaper Rash…
- THE BEST BABY DIAPER RASH BALM WITHOUT THE CHEMICALS! Extra nourishing and hydrating USDA organic diaper balm to prevent…
- Soothe, repair and help prevent diaper rash, chafing and irritation with organic ingredients scientifically proven as a…
- Nourish and Protect Delicate Skin: USDA Certified Organic, made with Sunflower Oil, Beeswax, Cocoa Butter, Coconut Oil,…
This cream is made with sunflower oil, beeswax, cocoa butter, coconut oil, olive oil, and chamomile calendula. It both treats and prevents diaper rash, chafing, and irritation with 100% organic and natural materials.
This cream comes with a money-back guarantee.
Desitin Daily Defense Baby Diaper Rash Cream with Zinc Oxide to Treat,…
- 16-ounce tub of Desitin Daily Defense Diaper Rash Cream works from the first use to help soothe, treat and prevent…
- From the #1 choice for diaper rash relief by Pediatricians and parents, this infant diaper cream instantly forms a…
- Made with zinc oxide, its fast-acting hypoallergenic formula helps seal out wetness to treat diaper rash from the first…
Desitin comes in 16 oz. tubes. It is made with zinc oxide and provides immediate relief. It features a fast-acting formula that heals, soothes, and treats diaper rash.
This product does not have a warranty.
Burt’s Bees Baby Diaper Rash Ointment 3 Ounce (Pack of 2)
- BABY DIAPER OINTMENT: Treat and prevent diaper rash in a safe, effective and natural way with this ointment that leaves…
- SOOTH SKIN: Made with 40% Zinc Oxide and Sweet Almond Oil, this maximum strength ointment helps calm and protect…
- BABY SKIN CARE: Enriched with shea butter, lavender oil and jojoba seed oil, this rash ointment naturally revitalizes…
This cream prioritizes safety and the use of all-natural ingredients. It does not contain any phthalates, parabens, petrolatum, or SLS. It not only treats diaper rash, but also prevents it before it starts.
This product does not have a warranty.
A + D Original Diaper Rash Ointment, 4 Ounce
- Use at every diaper change to help prevent diaper rash from ever occurring
- Safe to use at every diaper change.
- Temporarily protects minor cuts, scrapes, burns and sunburns
This cream is pediatrician recommended, a top choice among baby diaper rash products. It treats and prevents diaper rash with lanolin and petrolatum, which seal out wetness. It is the best diaper rash cream for ease of use. There is no need to resort to a spatula to spread this cream.
You can reach out to A D customer service in the event of any returns.
Aquaphor Baby Healing Ointment Advanced Therapy Skin Protectant, 14…
- Clinically proven: Relieves diaper rash within 6 hours – Clinical Research Organization, 2015
- Gentle formula for the sensitive skin of babies, soothes and protects dry, chapped, cracked skin and helps prevent…
- Soothes red, irritated noses and cheeks resulting from a cold or drool rash
Aquaphor baby rash cream is pediatrician recommended and hypoallergenic. It is also paraben, dye, and fragrance-free. It has been clinically proven to restore healthy skin, and it also treats dryness, chapped skin, teething, and drool rashes.
It includes a uniquely formulated skin protectant which allows oxygen flow to increase skin healing.
This cream does not have a warranty.
The Verdict: The Best Diaper Rash Cream
After reviewing all 10 products, we narrowed our choices for best diaper rash cream to two choices.
The first pick is the ERAorganics Diaper Rash Cream. We chose it for several different reasons. First, it has a money-back guarantee, which is rare. Second, its ingredients are all organic and natural. Third, it provides excellent relief.
Our second choice is the A D Original Diaper Rash Ointment. We selected it for its ease of use, its longevity, and its effective treatment.